How to Change Your Mercedes-Benz Key Battery
Every once in a while, you’ll need to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob. While nobody likes when their car key stops working, you will be able to start your car manually, although you will lose panic and remote start functions. Fortunately, Bullhead City Mercedes-Benz drivers will find replacing the battery on a Mercedes-Benz key fob is simple! Simply follow our step-by-step directions on how to change the battery in Mercedes-Benz key fob, and you’ll be back on the roads of Kingman and Boulder City in a snap.
Which Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Do You Have?
There are two different types of Mercedes-Benz key fobs, and the type you have determines how many of the CR 2025 batteries you’ll need. The type of key model also determines how you’ll change the battery.
- Smart Key: Made for older Mercedes-Benz vehicles, this key fob is usually made of plastic. Both the new and old version of this key needs two batteries.
- Chrome Keys: If you have a newer Mercedes-Benz vehicle, you most likely have a Chrome Key. This key has a metal casing and can come in one of two versions: a new model and an old model. The new version of this key needs one battery, and the older version of this key needs two.
How do you tell which key you have? An easy way to distinguish between the two keys is by looking at the panic button; the newer version of the Chrome Key has a panic button shaped in a triangular shape, while the older version has a panic button in a circular shape.
How to Open Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob
To change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob, you’ll first need to know how to open your Mercedes-Benz key fob. This process for how to change your car key differs slightly for each key version.
To open your Smart Key, follow the steps below:
- Pull the sliding tab on the key, and pull out the key that is inside of the fob.
- Then, move the key to the opposite side of where it can be inserted completely, and push down towards the fob.
- Remove the back of the key, and take out the old battery. Put the new battery in its place, making sure that the new battery is facing the right way.
To open a Chrome Key, proceed with the following steps:
- Find the silver, square-shaped tab on the bottom of the Chrome Key. Pull on this bottom tab until the key releases from the fob.
- Push the key into the small gap in the fob. The gap will be visible after the key comes out.
- After the cover is off, you will see the old battery. Take out the old battery, and put the new battery in the fob facing the correct way.
Learn More About Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery Replacement!
Contact us with questions about Mercedes-Benz key fob battery replacement. The technicians at our service center can walk you through the process or change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob for you. Need help getting a Mercedes-Benz key battery? Visit our parts department in Henderson!